Sunday, July 15, 2012

Party Time!

Well, it's safe to say we have had a busy month!  In the last four weeks we:

1. Bought a house!
2.  Potty trained Jason!
3. The Liau's came to visit!
4.  Trip to Las Vegas!
5.  My birthday!
6.  Brett's birthday!

Nothing but excitement around here lately!

The biggest news is that we bought a house.   We were not planning to buy one, at all, but Derek was kind of looking online and saw a home that he thought would be perfect.  We went to check it out and he was right- it was perfect!  So after some deliberation, we decided to take the plunge and are now official home owners!


Ta-da!  It's a door!


We are so excited.  I can't wait to start making it our home.  I know our family will have so many happy times here!

Almost as life changing is the fact that we finally got Jason potty trained.  I don't want to write anything that will embarrass him in 10 years, but he was so funny.  I tried everything to encourage him to tell me when he needed to go to the bathroom- chocolate, ice cream, swimming lessons, preschool.  Nothing worked.  Derek one night told him he would buy him a black Daredevil action figure when he got potty trained and, boom, he was potty trained.  Not one accident.  Leave it to Derek to figure out what would motivate that kid!


The Liau's came to visit us.  They thought they were coming for a vacation, but we ended up putting them to hard work helping us move, then told them we were taking off to Las Vegas for two days and to make sure the kids didn't kill themselves.  They were good sports about it ;).


The boys adored Grandma and Grandpa.  Brett still asks "Where Grandpa?" every day.  They were amazing with the kids- the boys didn't cry the entire time we were gone.  I'm lucky to have such wonderful people as part of my family.


We had a great time in Las Vegas.  Derek went to see the UFC fight (I got my hair cut and had a wonderful evening reading my book uninterrupted).  The guy he was rooting for lost, so that was a little bit sad, but he was smart enough to bet against him so he had a few extra bucks to soften the blow.  Las Vegas is has good memories for us.  We took a trip there right before we got engaged and it was on that trip that I decided I had found the person I was going to marry.


Look at those two young kids!  We took this picture 8 years ago, right before we got engaged.   So... 5 moves, 2 degrees, 2 beautiful boys, and 1 home later...


Here we are in the same spot, even happier then we were 8 years ago.  I knew when I took that first trip with Derek that I had met a smart, funny, handsome, charming guy, but I had no idea he would turn out to be such a wonderful father and such a person of kindness and integrity.  I also had no idea he would never in a million years listen to the Beatles CD I just gave him.  I should have gone with Guns n' Roses.  I am so lucky to have him to share all these fun adventures with!


I love the Bellagio gardens- they are always so amazing!


Derek under a cool chandelier.


My birthday.  I got a chocolate cheesecake- just what I wished for!


I'm glad they didn't try to cram 34 candles on that thing.  I had such a fun birthday because the boys would randomly say "happy birthday, mommy" throughout the day and give me a big hug.  It was awesome.  They were so, so excited to give me a cake, and Jason prepped me all day long about closing my eyes, not peeking, and blowing out the candle.  Every time I went near the fridge he would say "remember what I told you about the cake!  No peeking!".

Brett had a birthday too!


I love this pic of Brett, it really captures him.


He was so excited to open some gifts.  He got lots of superheros!


He asked specifically for Dr. Doom!


We went with cupcakes since we still had half a cheesecake left.


He managed to sneak some frosting early.


Blowing out the candles.


Delicious!


Daddy and Brettley.


Messy fingers!  I can't believe he is two already.  He is the funniest, cutest most mischievous little two year old I have ever seen.  We love him so much!


The perfect place to sleep after an action packed week!

4 comments:

Miller Family said...

Wow, where do I even begin?? I have to know more about the house buying. Where is it? Are you still in the Campbell ward? etc. I need details. What a nice trip for you and Derek to take. Trips without kids are absolutely necessary once in awhile. Anyway, we need to chat. Congratulations! I can't wait to see all the amazing things you do to your house!!!

Glori Olsen said...

So excited for you guys! Both of your boys are looking so grown up. We are starting potty training with Davy in two weeks. I am deathly afraid--I'll have to look into the action figure potty training method. Love the Vegas pics, your hair looks so long!

Michael Bailey said...

Cute and clever as usual, Claire. You tkae such good care of your three little boys!

Michael Bailey said...

Hi Claire, this is mom. Ta Da--it's a door--no, wait--it's a-dor-able! I love the pics of the little boys and you and Derek, and his parents too. The boys say the cutest things! I just want to hug everybody. So glad you got away for a couple of days. Can't wait to find a time to come and visit you in your new house. Love you.