Friday, March 1, 2013

Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day

Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day!

We have been soooo sick over here for the past few weeks.  I thought we made it through flu season unscathed, but last week I took the boys to a playdate and the next day they were both throwing up :(.  We have been hanging around the house watching tv and being miserable and grumpy all week.  We did do some fun things before the plague struck, though.

Grandma and Grandpa Liau came to visit us in January.  We had a great time with them, but the boys were sick with colds (we have had a tough winter) and they got both Grandpa and Derek sick.  I don't know if the Liaus were glad they came to get infected, but we enjoyed having them.  


Brett eating crab.

Derek and I always plan to celebrate Chinese New Year, but we forget every year.  This time Derek's parents were here to remind us, so we had a Chinese feast and hung up some decorations.  The kids loved it because they got hongbao (red envelopes with money inside) and a gift.  All they had to do was say Gong Xi Fa Cai (it means "Congratulations!  Be prosperous in the new year!"  Then, if you are a jokester, you also say "Hong Bao Na Lai" which rhymes and means "Now give me a red envelope!!")   Turns out they pick up Chinese pretty quickly if they are bribed.  It was fun!

Funny story about Chinese New Year- we got invited to go celebrate at Derek's Aunt and Uncle's house a couple of years ago.  We all ate a delicious Chinese dinner and then everyone started celebrating and handing out red envelopes.  It's customary for married people to give unmarried people and children red envelopes for the new year.  Well, I was not up to speed on that custom because all of these people we had never met before started giving Jason money and we did not bring anything for the other kids.  I was so embarrassed.  I said to Derek "Why didn't you tell me about this!" and he said "What?  I didn't know!"  I guess he missed some crucial traditions when he was in Taiwan for two years, not to mention he is Chinese!!  Oh, well.  Derek was secretly kind of happy how things worked out but I still feel guilty about it.


Jason is the pickiest eater ever but guess what he loves- tofu. Tofu and duck. He is the Tofu King.  He seriously ate his weight in tofu every night Grandma and Grandpa were here.  I honestly can't see the appeal, but I have started to cook tofu now because it is one of the only healthy things he will eat consistently.  I don't think I can learn how to cook duck.  I'm just going to tell him chicken is duck from now on.


Grandpa Liau.  Smiling despite his cold.


Red Envelope time!


Thanks, Grandma!


Oh my gosh, they get so spoiled when Grandma and Grandpa came to visit.  Enjoy it, boys- Mommy's back in charge now.


Hugs for Daddy.


We also celebrated Valentine's Day at Jason's preschool.


Jason working on a craft.


They are so nice and let Brett participate even though he is not in preschool right now.  They loved all the treats.


Brett got some bubbles!


I got a little spoiled, too, by a very handsome guy!


The monkeys all ready for church.


Not my best pic, but this is what happens every time I try to practice the piano when the boys are awake.  We always have to do a trio.  So far I am doubtful of their natural musical ability.

1 comment:

Emily B said...

Kevin went to Taiwan on his mission too. He thinks Americans need to adopt the red envelope thing from the Chinese since it's ways better than getting some gift you may or may not like.