Saturday, December 20, 2014

Catching up!



I'm behind on the blog again!  We have had a fun couple of months, though. Derek's friend from work  was kind enough to take some family pictures for us. We got some really good ones! We don't have any family pictures with Cara in them, so I'm glad we finally got some taken.


Me and my sweetie.


Guess who turned the big 4-0!  I tried to surprise him by setting up 40 black balloons, but most of them deflated by morning!  I guess he looks like he's sitting in a throne of balloons.


For the first time since we've been married, I thought I would surprise Derek with a fun adventure. I hired a babysitter and made reservations to a nice dinner and go kart racing after that.  I didn't tell him anything about it until the babysitter showed up, then I told him to get dressed and come out. I thought he would be so excited, but he was mostly just bemused and panicked.  He asked me several times if he was going to get dirty and where we were going and if he was going to ruin his shoes :(.  I think he thought I was taking him camping or something. He really does not like surprises. We did end up having a lot of fun racing, though.  He beat me every time but I only let him win because it was his birthday. Actually, it was really difficult and I was too scared to gun it all the way around the track! We were racing with a bunch of tattooed up rough looking guys who were not going to show anyone any mercy and I was the stereotypical wimpy girl who just let everyone zoom by me.  Maybe I'll beat him next time.



40 looks good on this handsome guy!


We also had a fun Thanksgiving!  Look at my little native american enjoying his feast!


As you can tell, we dressed for dinner.


Brett devouring the turkey!


Cara loves Texas Toast Croutons.  She knows where I keep them and she toddles over and grabs the bag every day.  She would eat the whole thing if she could. Then she smells like garlic cheese for the rest of the day :).


I'm still having fun dressing her up.


So chic with her bottle and beret!


We have been having a lot of fun getting ready for Christmas.  We went caroling at a nursing home,


made fancy gingerbread houses,


baked and decorated Christmas cookies,


(I tried to do traditional christmas shapes, but the boys insisted on these!)


visited the neighbor's enormous bear (our street is very festive- this is just one of many!)


and went to a fantastic live nativity!  I look forward to this every year.  I put a lot of pictures up because it is just so well done and cool!


Roman soldiers at the gate.


The only picture I could get of Mary and Joseph arriving at the census.


They have authentic looking booths set up that show what people were making and selling in Bethlehem. This one has real frankincense, gold and myrrh on display. They let the kids help make baskets, saw wood, use bellows to make a fire, and many other fun activities.


They also got to train as Roman soldiers!



The angel appearing to the shepherds was pretty impressive.


A procession of wise men, complete with camels, dancing ladies, and fire throwers went to see baby Jesus at the manger.


This guy was enormous!  He must have been over seven feet tall!


Mary had a beautiful voice, and they sang Christmas hymns at the end of the program.  It was so fun!


Cara got ahold of some mistletoe and got a kiss from daddy.


The boys got this kit for their birthday.  We ordered some caterpillars and watched them turn into butterflies. It was very exciting- our lives revolved around the caterpillars for two weeks.


One day, they became beautiful butterflies. Jason was heartbroken at the thought of setting them free and cried for a long time, but finally decided they would be happier in the wild.


When we released them, they landed on the boys.  The boys were able to carry them around for a long time before they finally flew away.


It really was pretty neat to see them transform.


My funny little guys having a party in the flowers.


Baby Cara!  We are looking forward to Christmas and the Liaus coming to visit next week!  I love this happy and fun time of year.





No comments: