Thursday, July 7, 2011

Piano Recital

So, can I tell you about the worst piano recital ever? I had to play three songs and scales in front of a judge. I have been kind of a slacker on the scales because I hate to practice them, but I had worked hard on them for two weeks prior to the recital. I was totally confident about the songs, though. I played them for months and months. My husband was threatening to cut off his ears or my fingers he had heard them so much. I could play them blindfolded.

The judge was a very artsy musician who told me all about her doctorate in music and how she plays in a group band every night. I was a little intimidated. After she got through with her credentials she said, “Let’s see what you can do.” That’s when my hands started shaking.

I nervously began to play the scales that I had tentatively memorized. I made it through the first two just fine, but when I went to play the third one I completely blanked. I tried again- still did not get it. I looked over at the judge. She did not appear to be amused. She said, “Forget it- just move on to your song.” I started playing my song, but my terrified brain had switched to autopilot and my fingers just refused to play the right notes. I missed one note. Then another. I knew my poor teacher was just outside the door, cringing at every mistake. I messed up the next transition. What was happening? I could play this song in my sleep! I played it perfectly 30 minutes ago!

I missed another note and my Russian teacher could keep silent no more. She burst into the room crying “B flat! B flat!” At that point I had no more delusions. I knew I was a goner. I limped through the rest of the songs, occasionally hitting a correct note. It was awful. By the third song, I just wanted to be done as quickly as possible so I could go home and try to scrub the memory from my brain.

When it was finally over the judge looked at me like I had just strangled a cat in front of her and called it a sonatina. My teacher looked like I had insulted all of Russia with my horrendous piano “music”. As I was leaving, the next student waiting to take the test, a little Asian girl maybe 6 years old, said, “I played that song last year. I didn’t make any mistakes.” I wanted to say, “well, good for you, shrimpy, at least I can drive!” But I didn’t.

It was not a good day for my ego.

5 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

Ack! I totally feel for you! When I auditioned for BYU's music program, I sang a song that I'd known inside out for quite some time. I was so nervous that I totally forgot the words and just made up syllables in Italian. Every one of the judges knew the song and knew exactly how bad I had done. It was horrible. It definitely helped me with my empathy.

Catherine said...

I'm sorry you had a bad recital, but I'm sure glad you blogged about it! Hilarious! You're a very good writer, Claire.

Emily B said...

You should have said that to that little girl.

I've been practicing the piano just to be able to play for Relief Society when they need a fill-in. I stepped in one day, and messed up so badly that I'm sure the chorister wished she just had everyone sing acapella. I wanted to give up, but I had been practicing for months! So I kept practicing. A few months went by, and I stepped in to play piano again, and it was way better the second time.

Maybe you just needed to get that first recital out of the way. I bet the next recital will be much better because now you know what to expect. I'm sorry things didn't go the ay you wanted them to, Claire.

Glori Olsen said...

Holy Cow Claire. I feel like you have the best "as bad as it could be" stories. thanks for sharing.

Meighan said...

Oh Claire I'm sorry. That sounds mortifying. I once sang a solo in Sacrament meeting and I gave the accompanist the wrong music. It was for the alto version and not the soprano. So I had to sing alto, which I had never practiced. It was just bad. I feel for you. Nothing but time makes it feel better, and even then you still cringe. But hey it makes for an awesome story! Can I say that the last part about the little girl cracked me up. As in I laughed out loud and Alina came in to ask me what was so funny.